I have fond memories of trick or treating when I was young with my brother and parents. But as a kid with a peanut allergy, there were so many restrictions.
Every kid who has food allergies or restrictions should not feel like they are missing out on fun on Halloween. But it is so important to stay safe this time of year.
When I look back, my parents were really good at explaining to me the risks involved when gathering candy from neighbours with my peanut allergy and the rules that went along with my trick or treating days….
- Wear your fanny pack of your medicine (and it NEVER matched my costume!!!!)
- Do not eat anything while out collecting until there was a full inspection at home
- Do not consume anything without the OK from parents.
Two of my mom’s strategies to not restrict my fun and keep me safe were
- keeping sweets at home that she would trade for all of the candy I collected
- bringing any peanut candy or treats to other peanut safe households with no dietary restrictions there.
Happy Halloween and safe trick or treating!